Friday, September 30, 2011

Rough start, this one, but it's going swimmingly

This year was a "jump in the water and start paddling" year.  It's been an interesting one - I have more new students this year than I've ever had than the year I jumped into teaching full time (again) back in the day.  In fact, more, because I have "a reputation" now (dun dun dun!)  The first two weeks were heavy-duty, this week wasn't much better, and did I mention a concert fund-raiser in the middle of that, for which I was the fall guy?

Ok, I admit, the concert fund-raiser wasn't all that bad, but I really didn't have as much time as I would have liked to donate to the final details, and people weren't being all that good about getting me every little thing in a truly timely fashion (I know, I know, there were extenuating circumstances, for almost all of you) and there were a few dramatic moments that came about due to life circumstances, etc.  I'm not complaining, mind you, but it wasn't the sort of polished, finished job I like to produce, and I'm not proud of that.  Unfortunately, I'm even less proud of the fact that I was willing to step aside and let it be that way. I am, in fact, ashamed of my lack of worry about the lack of perfection.  On the other hand, it made for a far more pleasant event, at least from my point of view.

I received a number of very positive and flattering comments, and of course, the obligatory whining and slamming, but all in all, it was a good evening.

There will be more on the performer's ego coming soon - something I both think I understand on one level, and don't on another.  Additionally, I have some thoughts new philosophies I'm trying on for size.  So far, they seem to be making a much more even pathway, and I'll share them soon.

In the meanwhile, I have this weekend to just kick back and sort of sigh a sigh of relief that the term is officially under way, and that I only have two new students to meet (probably this week).  Whew!

No comments:

Post a Comment