Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Intro to who?

It seems odd to start a new venture at the end of summer.  It's the time things are beginning to die, right?  The trees and grass all have that wilted, faded look, even in this summer of adequate rain.  The days are getting shorter.  There's a chill in the air on some mornings. 

Ever since I was a kid, I've loved autumn, and thought of it as a sort of new year.  It's the beginning of a new school year, something I always loved as a child, and don't mind much now that I'm a teacher.  Sure, I miss my long, lazy summer days, the much slower pace of life that summer brings.  Yet I love the new school year stretching in front of me like a blank canvas, full of promise, and looking for color.  As a student, I always thought each school year had so many possibilities, and I was both excited and frightened to see them.  The better I knew a place, the more it was excitement.  Transitions, of course, were harder. 

Who am I?  That is the question.  I am a sort-of singer, classically-trained.  I am a full-on teacher of voice.  

I struggle. I struggle with who I am, though I am definitely a full adult.  I struggle with weight, with my body, with my voice, with how others see me.  Am I the me I think I am, or am I the me I see (and others reflect) in the mirror?  I don't know. Mirror, or me?  That is the question. 

Look behind the mirror, and there I am, tap, tap, tapping my way out.  Do I invite you in?  That's a little bit of what this is, a tentative invitation into my world, the way I see things, decidedly different from others, so I've been told.  Maybe not as much as others think. 

Welcome.  

No comments:

Post a Comment